New Haven Police Department Tips for Motorist
1. Slow down!
2. Be especially careful when driving on neighborhood streets and around school zones.
3. STOP your car when you see lights flashing on a school bus:
· Red flashing lights indicate the bus is stopped and students are getting on or off.
· Don’t start driving until the red lights stop flashing.
· Be aware that a child may dash across the street
4. CGS 14-279 – Fine $465.00.
a) The operator of any vehicle shall immediately bring their vehicle to a stop not less than ten feet from the front when approaching and not less than ten feet from the rear when overtaking or following any registered school bus on any highway or private road or in any parking area or on any school property when the bus is displaying flashing red signal lights and/or stop sign, except at the specific direction of a police officer.
b) Vehicles stopped for a school bus shall not proceed until the bus no longer displays flashing red signal lights and/or stop sign.
c) The operator of a vehicle on a highway with separate roadways need not stop upon meeting or passing a school bus which is on a different roadway.
Questions? Please call/email Sgt. Renee Forte 203-946-7560.